Enterprise Systems Connection (ESCON) Service
Type of Change:
Bell Atlantic ESCON Service is a high speed, point-to-point transport service which uses IBM’s Enterprise System Connection Architecture to connect host channels and control units. The ESCON interface is a subset of the ESA/390 architecture. This service is able to carry only data between the end user locations at 200 Megabit per second over fiber optic cable.
For additional information on the ESCON interface, the following documents are available from IBM:
To obtain these documents contact:
- IBM Enterprise Systems Architecture/390 ESCON I/O Interface - SA22-7202; Enterprise Systems Architecture/390 ESCON I/O Interface, Physical Layer - SA23-0394
- IBM Single Byte Command Code Sets Connection Architecture (SBCON), Revision 2.2 dated April 11, 1996
- IBM Reference Guide - G326-0005
- IBM - Introducing Enterprise Systems Connection - GA23-0383; ESCON Link Fault Isolation - ST00-4660; ESCON Link Maintenance - SY27-2597.
- ANSI X3T11/95/469/Project 1132-D
IBM Publications Support CenterDates changes are to occur:
P.O. Box 29570
Raleigh, NC 27626-0570
Phone Orders: 800-879-2755
Fax Orders: 800-445-9269
Email Orders: USIB6FPL@IBMMAIL.com
ESCON Service is initially scheduled to be offered to specific customers in New Jersey during May and July and in Virginia during July. Subsequent offerings will be made in 4Q97. To confirm the actual deployment date, contact the product manager listed below.
Locations changes are to occur:
Bell Atlantic ESCON Service is planned for implementation throughout the Bell Atlantic region.
Reasonably foreseeable impact of change:
CPE vendors who are interested in providing CPE for this service will need to meet the interface requirements.
For specific information regarding geographic availability, pricing or additional technical information, contact:
Oscar J. Mujica
540 Broad St., Room 605
Newark, N.J. 07101